Suite with SWE
What is Suite with SWE and why should I attend?
- Suite With SWE is a semiannual community outreach event held by The University of Arizona Chapter of Society of Women Engineers. We invite outstanding high school girls from all across the nation with one important thing in common, they all want to be engineers. Suite With SWE offers a unique chance to interact with current engineering students and receive an inside look at what it’s like to be an engineer at the U of A
- Family and Faculty Dinner
- The Family and Faculty Dinner is a chance to sit down with the best U of A Engineering Faculty and get to know them. Families do not usually have much interaction with their student’s professors so this is great chance to ask all those burning questions. What better way to learn about the U of A than from the people who make this school what it is.
- Mock Lecture
- We host a mock lecture for the attendees given by one of our faculty members. We tailor the topic of the mock lecture to the interests of the majority of the attendees. This gives attendees a sneak peak of a college style class. Last fall we had a Biomedical engineering professor who works with the U A School of Dance come in and give lecture on his studies on Arthritis.
- Attendees will also participate in design challenges. These fun activities are competitions that are designed to teach the principles of engineering and problem solving. Attendees will work in teams to do anything from build the toughest tinfoil boat to the tallest spaghetti tower.
- Special Interest Tours
- We host an array of unique tours for our attendees to choose from. The tours offered change every semester but never fail to be very interesting. Last semester we held a tour of most of the Sorority Houses on Greek Row, giving girls a close up look at the philanthropy and community of Sorority life. The U of A Baja Racing Team also gave us a tour of their shop, where they design from the ground up a dune buggy that they take to competitions around the nation. The U of A Chapter of IEEE hosted a soldering workshop given by NASA certified technician. Soldering is used in circuitry and is an invaluable skill for any engineer to have. These are just a few of the exclusive tours we have offered in the past.
- In addition to all of those events, attendees will receive a U of A engineering goodie bag with a U of A SWE t-shirt and other fun treats. Suite With SWE is also aligned with Arizona Experience, the largest, most comprehensive tour event for prospective students. Students and their families will have a chance to tour the whole campus as well as attend important information sessions on a myriad of topics. We strongly encourage those attending Suite With SWE to also attend Arizona Experience. Their website is here : https://admissions.arizona.edu/visit-ua/az-experience
A Note from Our 2015-2016 Chair
Suite With SWE has always held a special place in my heart since I attended myself back in the Spring of 2013. I had just committed to the U of A and couldn’t be more excited, but I was still a little bit anxious. I was thrilled to get a chance to really see the campus and meet some engineers, I wanted to know more about what I had signed myself up for. I had a total blast and came out 100% sure that the U of A, and engineering, was the right place for me. I wore my SWE shirt once a week for the rest of my senior year, I was totally ready to be a Wildcat. That confidence that I was in the right place really propelled me to success from the very first day, and I have SWE to thank for all of that. ~Hannah Ingle
Connect with us: